The beautiful dreamy Görnische Gasse is located in the so-called Görnische Vorstadt and originated from the Slavic village Kirnitz (also Görnitz) and is now considered part of the Triebischvorstadt. The place “Kirnitz” was mentioned for the first time in 1287 and was located directly southwest of the old town of Meißen on the left bank of the Triebisch River, below the city wall. From this place a path, which was laid out with the planned foundation of the town, led through the “Kirniczsch thor” – a staging post for guards, which was built in 1357, but unfortunately demolished in 1837. This road was first called “Kyrnischgasse”, only in 1597 the current spelling “Görnische Gasse” prevailed. In this somewhat off the beaten track lane there are remarkable houses from the Renaissance period, which have survived the test of time. Also because they were almost spared from the last devastating city fire in 1637 and thus preserved.

Ansicht Görnische Gasse 2 + 3, 2016 © Brumm-Bau GmbH
view Görnische Gasse 2 + 3, 2016 © Brumm-Bau GmbH

House 2 and 3

The Renaissance houses, built around 1560/70, belong to the oldest part of the city of Meissen, whose initial construction dates back to the year 1200. Now the renovation of these listed houses is progressing in leaps and bounds, thanks in part to a Meissen-based engineering firm for overall construction planning, Antje and Andreas Hainz. Mr. and Mrs. Hainz have been accompanying the construction projects of Brumm Bau GmbH in this beautiful alley for many years and are thus making a significant contribution to the fact that the renovation is progressing rapidly and the houses are regaining their former splendor.

With enthusiasm for the renovation of old building fabric

“The redevelopment of houses 2 and 3 at the entrance to the alley will decisively upgrade the street, which will also benefit the adjacent Hundewinkelplatz and thus extend the dwell time somewhat,” Antje Hainz proudly tells us. “We are trying to preserve as much as possible of the historic building fabric, some of which dates back to the 16th century, and to include and restore in our plans the Baroque articulation of one and the Renaissance details on the window front of the other.” “Seven apartments have been created with large windows and modern-sized rooms. An elevator that guarantees accessibility to the apartments. Large balconies, exposed beams and even parts of the historic brickwork have been incorporated,” Antje Hainz continues. Anyone who knows the houses from an earlier time would never have believed what they could one day become.

State Fornieles Galerie&Atelier 2016 © Brumm-Bau GmbH
State Fornieles Galerie&Atelier 2016 © Brumm-Bau GmbH
Again and again the alley was affected in the course of time. City fires, floods and also the condition of the houses after the Swedish invasion in 1637, which damaged and destroyed large parts of the city. A record from 1637 also names the owners of the partially destroyed but habitable houses: Görnische Gasse 2 (No. 277) Paull Mücze and Görnische Gasse 3 (No. 278) Elias Schneider. In the following centuries the houses were rebuilt again and again and the owners changed. In the upcoming episode of our series “Awakened – The Ghosts of Görnische Gasse” we will take a closer look at the history and renovation of the house number 35.
The old craftsman’s house from the 15th century houses the so far oldest dated medieval wooden beam ceiling of Meissen’s burgher town. The ceiling on the first floor was installed in 1435, the one on the ground floor in 1464. We walk on the paths of the past. The Middle Ages are alive in this alley and it is easy to see how the town was formed structurally. Until the 19th century, this beautiful craftsman’s house was a gabled four-axis two-storey building. The building can be traced back to several construction stages, so that it is not possible to assign it to a specific style. It is a fact that the great fire of 6.6.1637, caused by the Swedish invasion, spared this house completely. By preserving the houses Görnische Gasse 34 and 35, another peculiarity was also preserved. The so-called Ehgraben.

Art historian and architect Cornelius Gurlitt

At the beginning of the 20th century, the art historian and architect Cornelius Gurlitt (born 01.01.1850 near Wurzen, died 25.03.1938 in Dresden), a co-founder of art historical Baroque research and founder of Saxon monument preservation, produced one of the most comprehensive descriptions of the “Inventarisierung der Kunstdenkmäler des Königreiches Sachsen” in 41 volumes. These are the bibles for every architect, and Gurlitt is also credited with founding the “Bund Deutscher Architekten (BDA)” (Association of German Architects), which was founded in 1903. Cornelius Gurlitt worked in an interdisciplinary manner in the fields of architecture, art history, monument preservation and urban planning. He contributed significantly to the revaluation of the Baroque as a noteworthy art-historical epoch and thus ensured the preservation of historical building fabric, not only in Dresden. His work covers the German-speaking countries. Excerpt Gurlitt “Amtshauptmannschaft Meißen – Beschreibung Darstellung der älteren Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Königreiches Sachsen” (1923): Görnische Gasse 2 (277): Residential house with six windows front and two upper floors, the upper of which was probably built around 1800. The jamb profiles of the other point to the period around 1560-70. Likewise, the round-arched door with stone seats, plain profile with a large Karnies (Karnies: a decorative element of architecture. It is also called bell molding) as the main element. Only the keystone contradicts the time determination. It bears the date 1673, below it foliage into which is subsequently chiseled: 1787. Gurlitt considers the keystone to be a subsequent insertion, which led to the widening of the gate. Görnische Gasse 3 (278): simple residential house with six windows front and two upper floors. On the keystone inscribed: G.H./G./1842 From 1927, a “drawing on structural changes in the property of Mr. L. Fischer Meißen, Görnische Gasse 2” has survived.

Portal Expension-Bauakte StA Meissen (2) © Architekturbüro Hainz
Görnische Gasse Nr. 2, Portal © Architekturbüro Hainz

2014 - 2016 Restoration and modernization by Brumm-Bau GmbH Meißen - The first spirit awakens

Since 2014, the buildings have been secured and subsequently renovated and modernized. In addition to preserving the cultural-historical values and upgrading the spatial qualities, the principle of the structural development was to provide contemporary comfort of use for the resulting spacious apartments and business premises.

Görnische Gasse 2, Neues Portal 2019 © Foto: Brumm-Bau GmbH

texts by: H. Dassler und A. Schramm ©

Quelle: sächsische Zeitung

2022 Fornieles Galerie&Atelier

Since 03.12.2022 Fornieles Gallery&Atelier is located on the groundfloor of the house 2. The showcase of House No. 3 is also part of the project of the Spanish artist Emilio Fornieles. In House 2 the artist works and organizes solo exhibitions of his artworks. He also organizes events related to art, such as Art&Wine, lectures, presentations, guided tours or Meet the Artist. The showcase of the 3rd house represents the information of the current exhibitions. You can participate in any of the above events through this website. Enjoy the different offers – not only for the eyes – also for the palate in a special synergy of art and history with a glass of Spanish red wine.